The Maine Tobacco HelpLine
Quitting tobacco is one of the hardest things to do. It’s a process, often taking more than one try. Your call to the Maine Tobacco HelpLine is an important first step. If you’re having a tough time, the HelpLine offers support to help you stay tobacco free for life.
The Maine Tobacco HelpLine answers your questions and offers friendly support to people thinking about quitting or ready to quit smoking, or those who want to help a friend or family member quit.
Call the HelpLine toll-free at 1-800-207-1230 or submit your request online and we’ll call you!
Why should you call?
- It’s free and totally confidential.
- We offer positive, supportive assistance. We won’t pressure you or put you down.
- We offer personal support geared to your life.
- It’s all by phone, on your schedule – you won’t have to worry about missing work, missing appointments, or how to watch the kids while you’re gone.
- You are 2-3 times more likely to quit with the HelpLine than when you try to quit on your own.
What happens when you call?
- We’ll ask questions to see what kind of help you need.
- If you are interested in quitting, you’ll talk to one of our specialists.
- If you are ready to quit, we’ll help you set a quit date, and we’ll make a plan just for you.
- We’ll help you think about what makes you smoke and give ideas to help you cope with urges.
- We’ll discuss using a nicotine patch, lozenge, or gum and let you know if you qualify for the Medication Program.
- We’ll help you feel comfortable talking about smoking.
- Once you say it’s OK, we’ll set up the next calls for ongoing support. We can help you reach your goals.
To learn more about what happens when you call the Maine Tobacco Helpline, please click on the video below.